Before March 31, the end of the fiscal year 2022–23, investors and taxpayers must ensure that their PAN card and Aadhaar card are linked. According to the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), PAN cards that are not linked to Aadhaar by March 31, 2023, will be inactive.
“It is required. Link it right away, don’t wait! Before March 31, 2023, it is required by the I-T Act for all PAN holders who are not exempt to link their permanent account numbers (PAN) with Aadhaar. From April 1, 2023, the unlinked Container will become out of commission,” the I-T Division in the public warning said.
There are four categories that are exempt from the PAN-Aadhaar linking mandate, according to a notification that was issued in 2017 by the Finance Ministry.
- residents of Assam, Meghalaya, and the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir in the north-eastern region
- According to the Income Tax Act of 1961, a non-resident
- who were 80 years old or older at any point in the previous year
- Not an Indian citizen.
NOTE: The appropriate fee must be paid by those who fall into one of the aforementioned categories and wish to link their Aadhaar with their PAN. The fee for PAN-Aadhaar Linkage must be paid through the e-filing Portal’s e-Pay Tax feature.
How to Check the Status of Aadhaar-PAN Linking
a) To file your income tax electronically, go to incometax.gov.in.
b) Look for the option to “Link Aadhaar Status.”
c) Select “View Link Aadhaar Status” after entering your PAN and Aadhaar number.
d) If your PAN is linked to your Aadhaar, a message will appear on your screen.
The 10 digits of your PAN will be linked to the 12 digits of your Aadhaar card number.
You can link your PAN to your Aadhaar by following the steps below:
- Go to the Income Tax Department of India’s official website at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/.
- On the homepage, select the “Link Aadhaar” option located under the “Quick Links” section.
- You will be required to enter your PAN, Aadhaar number, and name as shown on your Aadhaar card on a new page.
- Click the “Link Aadhaar” button after entering the page’s Captcha code.